It has been three weeks since my last post. (That sounds rather funereal. It’s not meant to be.) In that time I have recovered from sinusitis (worst I’ve had in years), a quick bout of the flu and an infected fingertip. We have entertained my father-in-law on three occasions when he has come into town for a week-end. I mounted an exhibition of vintage clothing at a local house-museum where I volunteer (using both my collection and the museum’s collections). We have been out twice to hear some live blues music at local clubs. I have contributed to two organized pot-luck dinners with friends (one of which included spouses), and have another one this evening. I have managed to drop in on my favourite thrift shops at least a couple of times. Oh, yes, and I worked at my part-time job. (I love everything I am doing, but sometimes it seems there just are not enough days in the week.) And I have done a bit of sewing.
I have created an almost wearable muslin of the Ellen pants (capri-length, from a metre of cotton gabardine from one of my favourite thrift shops). After cutting out a size 40 and sewing it together, I took in the side seams (three times) to try to bring it in to a smaller size (That was day 1). The next day, I picked out the side and in-seams, and re-cut to a size 38 (leaving the fly closure intact) and re-stitched it, using a slightly reduced seam allowance. And it fits, more or less. The only quibble I have is that the back of the leg, at thigh level, seems to have excess fabric, that hangs in baggy wrinkles. (They are wearable, as long as I don’t stand still long enough for it to be noticeable.) So, after reading as much as I could find on the internet, I am trying the ‘fish-eye dart’ solution. I have cut and sewn a new muslin (from an old bed-sheet) in a size 38, and after trying it on find it a bit snug, and still with the baggy rear thigh. So, inspired by Patty, the Snug Bug, I have marked the location and size of the tuck, and am going to unpick the side and in-seams, stitch in the tuck, restitch the seams with a slightly smaller seam allowance, and see what happens. I am musing that perhaps cutting a size 40 front and size 38 back may also work.
In the mean-time, I have acquired some more fabric (thrifted, again), and a pattern for a princess-seamed shirt (McCalls M6035), which has pattern adjustments to accommodate a variety of bust-cup sizes. Now, if I can just find some fabric to sew it in….